Notes from a forum a while back. I thought they were worth sharing
Persuasion - two ideas - convincing them you are right or convincing them your idea is a win for them (Though don't overestimate your knowledge of the other persons goals...)
Break the ice question: "What keeps you up at night?"
- In short, to be successful, you have to make an effort to get inside the other persons head
- Think about who the other person has to lose and who they have to please
- Determine what success and failure mean to the other person
- Deposit in the "trust bank"- make a good faith effort. ' and remind them "That's what friends do for each other"
- Remember the value of reciprocity - people like to repay favors
- Don't be emotional, step away if necessary
- Just listen - "at what point did I ask you for advice?"
- There are times to shut up and listen and times to fix things
- Don't be afraid of "no" - just ask
- Establish your physical presence (don't be too passive)
- Raise up your chair, spread your arms, use strong (but not agressive) body langugae)
- Last, Best and Final.... Low ball, get better, then give the real offer...
- You have to be able to give something or people will doubt your sincerity
- Negotiate in person, not over email if possible. Body language is lost. Tone is lost.
- Sarcasm can explode into nastiness.
- If the range of outcomes shifts - redefine victory.